CalUp Frequently Asked Questions
What is CalUp?
CalUp is the ultimate Attendee Engagement tool. With CalUp "Smart Itineraries", event planners and anyone coordinating events and activities can easily provide an informative, engaging and social experience for participants, guests or clients (“Attendees”) . Simply use the Web Portal to create your event itinerary or schedule of activities, and send out “invites” to your Attendees through the system. Attendees receive rich, informative and engaging “invites” on the CalUp Mobile App to keep them fully informed and to enable them to share photos, message with you as the host, and message with each other. As the host, you control notifications, messaging features and all event settings. Enhance your events with custom images, weblinks, deep app links, document attachments, meet point images, and more.
How does CalUp Planner pricing work?
Our flexible Unique Invitee pricing approach makes CalUp economic for single events (e.g. weddings, family reunions, class reunions, etc.) and for multi-event organizations of all types (companies, groups, clubs, etc.). For about the price of a single postage stamp, you may invite your plan level of Unique Invitees to unlimited events and activities for an entire year (for example, a single wedding with many different related activities, or series of events or outings for an organization or group). This gives you plenty of time to plan, build itineraries and execute your event(s). Our goal is to let you, the planner:
1) build robust, engaging event itineraries with unlimited activities; and,
2) personalize itineraries viewed by each individual or group attending your event.
Note that your "Unique Invitee" list resets at the end of each contract term to accommodate changes in your group or organization as applicable. Check out the rest of our FAQ for more information on CalUp use cases.
What types of events and activities are best suited for CalUp?
CalUp is super flexible and great for almost every event, activity, trip or group outing. CalUp is useful for: group travel excursions, company outings, retreats and events, weddings, enthusiast meet ups and destination trips, guest engagement by vacation property managers, professional organization events, family reunions, class reunions, guided outdoor adventures, realtor client engagement for house hunting outings, social club activities, tailgate parties, birthday parties, sports team activity coordination, destination vacations, hotel/resort event management, and venue event management.
How do event planners and coordinators use CalUp?
Planners and coordinators create rich, engaging activities and "Smart Itineraries" on the CalUp Web Portal and publish personalized "Smart Itineraries" right to their attendees mobile phone on the CalUp mobile app. Attendees use the CalUp app to stay fully informed, up to date and engaged with their host and with each other. CalUp helps planners and coordinators be efficient and effective with their attendee communication….even if they are not on-site at the event.
What are the Pro, Pro+, Team and Premium account plans and who can get one?
Any organization or individual planning or coordinating an activity or event can sign up for a CalUp Planner account. A separate account is required for each individual club, group, company, department or “event entity,” etc. Event planners who create events for multiple different groups or organizations will need to use a separate account for each group/organization. CalUp accounts are annual subscriptions based on the number of Unique Invitees per year (the count of Unique Invitees resets each year to accommodate changes in membership, employees, clients, etc.). Here’s how a subscription works for several different types of groups or organizations:
- Professional, social or recreational club: A CalUp account at the appropriate level based on membership allows the organization to send an unlimited number of itineraries or invites for events and activities to all club members. If your club grows you may upgrade at any time. Additionally, the number of Unique Invitees resets each year to accommodate turnover in members.
- Active Travel/Adventure Guide: A subscription can be based on the expected number of guests or clients. You can always upgrade your account if your business grows faster than you expect. CalUp is ideal for sharing detailed itineraries with guests and for enabling direct communication between guests, guides and the head office.
- Wedding: A CalUp Pro+ account subscription (max 250 Unique Invitees) is appropriate for a 200 person wedding (plus vendors and venue staff) and will be active for an entire year, allowing sufficient time leading up to the wedding to create the full itinerary of events and activities for the wedding party and guests. The renewable 1-year-term also allows time following the wedding to view the conversations and re-share photos. Often the wedded couple decides to renew their annual subscription at the Pro level (max 100 unique invitees) to use CalUp for smaller gatherings with friends and family and to maintain connections with wedding guests.
- Client Engagement: Realtors use CalUp to coordinate house hunting trips with clients, and to send “Open House” invites to colleagues and prospects. CalUp’s rich invites feature links, photos, document attachments and messaging, to enable compelling client & prospect engagement opportunities.
- Individual/Family/Super Connectors: If you are THE friend, family member or colleague that makes it all happen, a CalUp Pro account may be just the thing for you to spark excitement and engagement around your events. From birthday parties to tailgates, camping trips and more, CalUp helps you keep attendees informed, on track and updated. In addition, group messaging, direct messaging and photo sharing help ensure your event is fun and engaging.
What is the CalUp Enterprise Plan and why is it different?
A CalUp Enterprise account is appropriate for organizations that have over 5,000 Unique Invitees per year, require additional features or controls not available in the Premium tier, or wish to publish publicly viewable events/activities (in the Explore Tab of the CalUp mobile app or on https://events.getcalup.com). Examples of public events and activities are:
- Public Events – festivals, public gatherings, promotional events, etc.
- Recommended Activities – hotel/resort concierge recommended things to do in the area, and trips and tours offered by professional travel companies. The publishers of Recommended Activities can elect to have viewers contact the publisher for more information and booking, and/or allow the viewer to create a DIY activity to complete on their own with invited friends, family and colleagues.
- Recommended Events – similar to recommended activities, recommended events are time/date specific recommendations by a publisher/host/concierge. Examples include nearby concerts, happenings, festivals, farmers markets, etc. The publisher can provide links to the appropriate booking information (as applicable).
Publicly viewable events/activities are published only by vetted Enterprise account holders and the account holder’s contact information is prominently viewable by CalUp users.
How does CalUp enhance the attendee/guest experience?
CalUp allows you to configure the settings for each activity and adjust the interactive features that provide value to your guests. Guests can interact with each other through group chats, direct messaging with other guests, or direct messaging with the host. They can also see selected documents and web links in the app and receive all of your updates in real time with useful notifications/alerts. In addition to the event itinerary, CalUp lets you use your creativity to create engaging experiences such as:
- A “Preview” virtual live or video activity to share with attendees to get them excited and informed in advance of the main event.
- A “Get To Know You” event where the “Event Group Chat” tool is used for a virtual “ice breaker” discussion in advance of the event. (i.e. “Where are you from and what is your favorite food?”)
- A broadcast message to all attendees upon their arrival with a welcome message.
- Share photos of the venue, event or sponsor products, and encourage others (via group message) to add their photos to the event as well.
- Create a “Post Event Thank You” event and encourage participants to view and share photos they took with the group.
How does the CalUp mobile app work?
The CalUp Mobile App is free to all Attendees and Invitees, and available in the Apple App Store and Google Play. The app is user friendly and has everything you need to create an exciting itinerary or invite. Businesses, clubs and groups of all types create rich engaging events and activities using the CalUp Planner Web Portal and share them with Invitees (customers, employees, guests, members, etc.) on the mobile app. When sent, Invitees receive a notification via text, in-app notification and/or email that directs them to the invite in the app or directs them to download the CalUp app from the Apple App Store or Google Play (if they have not done so yet).
How are attendees notified when I send out a CalUp Invite?
When creating an invite, you (the host) decide on the notification settings. You may notify attendees by text message, email or in-app push message. If an attendee does not yet have the CalUp App downloaded, the text and/or email notification will prompt them with a link to download the CalUp app in the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once the attendee logs into CalUp and verifies their phone number (or email), their invite from you will display in their CalUp Mobile app. You can also turn off notifications for specific activities or situations where you are sending a long itinerary of activities and only want to notify your invitees one time (vs. sending many text messages).
What are some of the key features of CalUp?
- Real-Time Updates and Notifications – After an event or activity is published, the Administrator or Co-Administrator may edit any aspect of the event (date, time, location, meet point, document attachment, links, etc.) and update the event. When the update is sent, the event/activity will be automatically updated on the invitee’s Calup Mobile app. Additionally, if the update includes a change to the title, date, time or location and notifications are turned ON (text, email and/or in-app) all invitees will receive a notification message so they are up-to-date on the changed event/activity.
- Messaging – CalUp provides three types of messaging all of which are configurable by the Administrator or Co-Admin:
1) One-way broadcast messaging from the Admin/Co-Admin to the invitees – participants may view the message, but may not respond;
2) Event/activity group messaging amongst the Admin/Co-Admin and all invitees to an event/activity – all participants are able to view and participate in the discussion.
3) 1:1 direct messaging amongst participants – if enabled, any participant may direct message any other participant (including an In-App Co-Host).
- Photo Sharing – As an Admin/Co-Admin you may add any number of photos to an event/activity to share with and engage your invitees. Additionally, you may allow participants to share photos. If participant photo sharing is enabled, all invitees are able to view the photos shared by other participants. As Admin/Co-Admin you are able to “hide” photos that you deem inappropriate for group sharing.
- Web Links and Document Attachments – CalUp allows you to attach a PDF and/or a web link to any given event/activity and these are viewable within the app to all of your invitees. This allows you to get creative with your event and to provide key details. With the web link you can include a link to a booking system, zoom/meet, video, deep mobile app link, information/resort site, FAQ or anything else that you believe would enhance your guest experience. Alternatively, for the PDF, you can include a high level schedule, menu, packing list for trips, information guide etc. By using both of these together, your guests are in a great position to be fully informed and get the most out of your event.
- Location Hints and Meet Points? We’ve discovered that when planning events, particularly at larger or more complex venues, a google maps address it isn’t enough to get people to the right location. This can lead to last minute confusion and panic, as attendees are unsure of where to show up to meet transportation, park, find the group, etc. This is why we’ve developed Location Hints, a customizable graphic you can upload to your event that shows people exactly where to meet. We recommend you take a map of your venue or or screenshot of a web map, then using a graphics tool, place an arrow pointing to exactly where people should arrive to attend your event. This is ideal for events/activities in large hotels, conferences, larger venues or rural meet points.
How do I manage contacts and groups in CalUp?
You may add contacts to CalUp in several ways: 1) one at a time via the “add contact” tool, 2) in bulk by importing a spreadsheet with your contacts via the “import contacts” tool, or 3) as a “group” – a collection of contacts that belong to a certain category, activity or event, etc. Examples of a group of contacts are “marketing department”, “bridal party”, “July 26 Bike Tour Group”, “dining only guest”, “support team” and so on. When you create an event or activity you may simply select the contact(s) and/or group(s) you want to invite to an event. If a contact is a member of multiple invited groups, they are only sent a single invite to the event or activity. At the time of creating a new event or activity you may also add a contact directly to the activity by inserting their email address or phone number.
What if someone is behaving inappropriately on CalUp?
At CalUp, we take the safety of our users seriously. If you believe you have identified someone misusing our platform, such as targeting/harassing an individual or group, please report the event item in the CalUp App and send us an email at email@example.com with a description and screenshots of the issue. Please note that private events (and the related group chats and photos) are shared by CalUp only amongst the host and the invitees. Group chat is disabled for public events. Hosts have the ability to hide any photos they deem inappropriate.
Can I change my plan later after I sign up? and what if I want to cancel?
You can upgrade your plan anytime if your number of Unique Invitees or text messages grows beyond your subscription limit. You may downgrade your plan at the end of the then current annual contract term if you expect your number of Unique Invitees to be lower in the subsequent year.
You may cancel your account at any time. Your account will be available through the end of the current annual contract term and will be automatically closed at the completion of the contract term.